Landmarks

MOLFETTA MOLFETTA
Medieval and Renaissance tour of the town of Molfetta. The old town centre is characterised by a herringbone pattern layout, nobiliary palaces and precious structures. You can admire Palazzo Giovene with the Boardroom "G. Carnicella", the collection of Contemporary Art, the civic exhibition of wooden samples "R. Cormio", the copies of old animal traction means of transport, the Gallery of the "illustrious" men, the Sala dei Templari (The Templars' Room), the Chiesa della Morte (The Church of Death), Palazzo Galante Gadaleta and Torrione Passari, from which it's possible to admire the incredible panorama, Palazzo Passari-Lupis, Palazzo de Luca, Palazzo Nessa, with the typical ashlar diamond point facade. The walk through the old town walls is extremely evocative and particularly fascinating is San Corrado Cathedral, one of the greatest examples of the Apulian Romanesque architecture with the two characteristic towers and domes. Tourist Assistance: Pro-Loco 080/3359402
Mail: prolocomolfetta@libero.it

LANDSEA TOUR LANDSEA TOUR
One of the main points of reference to the local community and the travellers is the lighthouse, that dates back to the second half of the 19th century when the town was called "Vela Latina" (Latin Sail). Nowadays tourists have the possibility to visit it in order to admire he beauty of the sea, that frames the commercial and industrial side as well. This perspective helps admire the evolutionary landscapes and live the emotions that connect land and sea. A pleasant excursion on a sailing boat will give you the opportunity to enjoy the panorama of Molfetta from another point of view – a guide on board will show you the medieval centre characterised by a system of fortifications, the twin towers of the cathedral, Torrione Passari and the shipyards.
Antiquamater 339/5484123 - Mail: info@antiquamater.it

ARCHAEOLOGICAL TUOR ARCHAEOLOGICAL TUOR
The PULO is 2 kilometres from the town centre and consists of an egg-shaped karstic formation, with 170x130 m planks, 600 m perimeter and 30 m depth. On its vertical walls it is possible to admire several caves. The area has a significant archaeological value because of the presence of human beings from 5000 B.C until the 19th century. The Neolithic Age has given us back plenty of finds, expression of an important culture, called "Civiltà di Molfetta" (Molfetta civilization).
Ass. Polje Tel. 340/8807038 - Mail: infopolje@gmail.it - www.pulodimolfetta.it

RELIGIOUS TOUR RELIGIOUS TOUR
The diocesan museum is the cradle of priceless works, since it enshrines the canvases of some of the most important painters of XVI – XVIII centuries, such as Giaquinto and Cavallino, as well as meaningful expressions of the local history, like the precious Neolithic finds of Pulo, and the monumental frescoed library with 50000 volumes. The museum is the starting point of several religious tours through the amazing churches of Molfetta. The Coop FeArt guides accompany the visitors exploring the ecclesiastical heritage on the territory.

IMPERIAL APULIA IMPERIAL APULIA
One territory, one thousand emotions: www.pugliaimperiale.com

CASTEL DEL MONTE CASTEL DEL MONTE
World Heritage Site since 1996. It is the first Italian castle included in the UNESCO list. Situated in the territory of Andria, it is in the middle of an area rich in imposing castles that tell the heroic deeds of the Emperor and the intrigues of ladies and knights.

TRANI CATHEDRAL TRANI CATHEDRAL
It is the highest symbol of the Apulian Romanesque architecture: its rosy stone that overlooks the blue sea gives a unique sensation. It is called "The Queen of Apulian Cathedrals".

CANNE DELLE BATTAGLIA CANNE DELLE BATTAGLIA
The most famous defeat of the Romans or, if you prefer, the most glorious victory of the Carthaginians, led in 216 BC by the famous Hannibal, whose brave tactic called "pincers" became a must for Napoleon.

DOLMEN DOLMEN
The most famous is "the Chianca": dolmen are huge stone slabs, megalithic symbols of early history, surrounded by centuries-old olives.

DE NITTIS: APULIAN IMPRESSIONISM DE NITTIS: APULIAN IMPRESSIONISM
The Ville Lumiere boulevards enlightened the paintbrush of Giuseppe de Nittis from Barletta. He met Renoir, Monet and other famous French painters who were models for his extraordinary canvases, now collected in his amazing picture gallery.

THE NATIONAL PARK THE NATIONAL PARK
First rural park of Italy, realm of the Lesser Kestrel falcon, seemingly barren and wild, it is a spectacular natural wonder. It is a landscape that surprises in virtue of its spring colours and breathtaking sunsets.

THE COLOSSUS HERACLIUS THE COLOSSUS HERACLIUS
A cross in the right hand, a sphere in the left hand: 5 metre bronze and legend for the imposing Heraclius. The statue was abandoned by the Venetians on their way back from the plundering in Byzantium in 1204 and later mysteriously found on Barletta beach. Now it is symbol of the town.

SEA AND SPA SEA AND SPA
40 kilometres of beach for the suntan addicts! Sand expanses, white polished pebbles, wild cliffs, equipped lidos and health resorts. It is possible to moor the boats alongside the quays of the wet docks, next to millionaires' yachts as well as fishing boats.

DUOMO DI S. CORRADO DUOMO DI S. CORRADO
The church was built between 1150 and the end of the thirteenth century and dedicated to Santa Maria Assunta until 1671 was the site of the only parish diMolfetta. Old Cathedral of the Diocese of Molfetta, in 1785 the chair was moved to the church of the Jesuit college together at the dedication. The former cathedral then assumed the name of St. Conrad, the patron saint of Molfetta.
The church of St. Conrad is a rare example of Romanesque-Pugliese. It is in fact the largest of the Romanesque churches with the central nave with aligned domes (three in this case) set of hexagonal drum, compared to the others (including the four basilicas Palatine) with the cover-type trusses and roof tiles superimposed.
The building, a basilica plan asymmetric, is divided into three aisles by piers with engaged columns and the central nave has a cover with three domes in axis, as already reported, varying in height (the central one is considerably taller of the two end), while the aisles are covered with sloping roofs, lean-each, with tiles made of chiancarelle the same type of coverage of the famous Trulli Itria valley. Same type of chiancarelle assembled with a diamond tip with six converging pitches upward at the center of each dome (in order to satisfy the basic hexagonal drums), covers the three central domes .
The facade facing west, which now appears the main one, is bare , unlike that of noon, which has three windows late Renaissance , coats of arms of prelates , an image of Pope Innocent VIII and the statues of St. Nicholas and St. Conrad. This is explained by the fact that at the time of construction and until 1882 the facade , as well as any prospect west of the old town were overlooking the sea , as demonstrated by rare photographs prior to the construction of the quay Seminar, coinciding with the establishment of primatranche of the new port , that is, the current one (2007), which ended around 1882, in fact.
The structural complex is clamped between two bell towers. These (the noon bell that because physical location of the tower, the other closer to the sea side, on the lookout because so used to estimate the possible sighting of the Saracen invasions) are twins, square base, with three shelves, 39 meters high, open on four sides by windows mullioned windows.
Inside the kit is artistic thin but essential, a baptismal font of 1518, a precious altar frontal with bas-relief of the fourteenth century, a stone parapet of the twelfth century, representing a papal ceremony and the Redeemer of the thirteenth century. Characteristic is the font of the twelfth century, which depicts a man, probably buckwheat, holding a basin in which a fish swims, recurring symbol in religious iconography. The main altar is Baroque and is located in the apse semicircular.

MUSEO DIOCESANO MUSEO DIOCESANO
The Museum is housed in the elegant environment of the Episcopal Seminary of Molfetta already college of the Society of Jesus, built starting in 1610.
They were, in fact, the Jesuits to start an important cultural activity in the Adriatic town, directing the first factories of their residence to a public college for the study of the theological sciences as well as humanities and science also .
Which is why the right to direct today a part of the architectural structure ( the main body of the west ) to museum and cultural activities, provides a unique opportunity for the recovery of the social role that the institution has always played towards the city.
In 1881 Archbishop Filippo Giudice Caracciolo ordered the construction of several museum rooms at the Episcopal Seminary. In them you could see the first collection of archaeological material from the Pulo di Molfetta, which belonged to the archpriest and scholar G. Molfetta M. Giovene ( b. 1753 - d. 1837) .
Later the collection was enriched by the finds from the archaeological sites of Terlizzi and Bisceglie, collected by the archdeacon Francis Samarelli in various excavations, and donations from private collectors ( Cascarano - de Tritium ) .
After a period of stagnation is due to the foresight of Bishop Achille Salvucci (1935-1978) and its reopening Mgr Aldo Garzia the establishment of the Museum and Gallery in 1980. In subsequent years, due to the increasing of the museum, the Diocesan Museum has had several renovations to the current reorganization wanted by Bishop Luigi Martella . It is divided into six distinct sections : archeology, lapidary, sculpture, tapestries, paintings, silverware .
Worthy of note is the Library of the Episcopal Seminary which is located on the first floor, in a monumental frescoed room. It' a Library to address theological and humanistic, consisting of the library collections of the former Jesuit College and the former studio of the Dominicans as well as the stratification of heterogeneous collection of books, from various donations have occurred over time. Noteworthy is the bottom of the bottom of ancient manuscripts and incunabula composed of over two hundred and sixteenth, besides editions of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries.

Other landmarks
Old Cathedral - 0,04 km
Cathedral - 0,27 km
Hospital Molfetta - 1,73 km
Stadium "Paolo Poli" - 1,97 km
A14 Bologna-Taranto - 4,28 km
Miragica - Amusement Park - 5,15 km
Outlet Village Molfetta - 5,91 km


FORME Comunicazione Visiva